Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Potato Pancakes

Recipe: http://www.publicradio.org/columns/prairiehome/sundberg/2012/07/30.shtml

Well, I say Mrs. Sundberg hit a home run with these pancakes. It is her grandmother's recipe. Plain, simple, good food, like I imagine everyone eats in Minnesota. She did say that she sometimes grated onion to add to the mixture, so I took that as an ingredient, and added it as well. 

It made a lot. A LOT. So my plan is to fry the rest of them tomorrow, and see how they freeze for another meal or two. There's just me and my Mr. here, and we each had two with supper, and there are two for his lunch tomorrow. He usually takes a repeat of supper for lunch the next day. He's one of those people who will eat leftovers until they are gone. He's so handy when I have a refrigerator shelf full of odds and ends. He can make up a meal out of practically nothing. I'm keeping him.



The onion was a good addition. Every once in a while, I like an onion to say hello to me in a dish. Mr. says one can never have too much onion, and he would have been happy with more. I used a small yellow onion because I wanted to know it was in there. And it was. I let the mixture stand for about 15 minutes while I got another pan going on the stove. That thickened up the mixture a bit, and it was wet, but not too wet. Mrs. Sundberg said to drop by blobs into butter, but I did switch that out to olive oil. Since the Mr.'s bypass surgery, butter is a once in a rare while thing. But the oil worked great. It gave the pancakes a crispy, browned edge that was just delicious. I did also put two tablespoons of Hemp Hearts in it, because they are healthy and good for us, tasteless (even better for me), and impossible to detect in anything. We eat them in cereal, mashed potatoes, I put them on my pimento cheese sandwich today for lunch, so we use them all the time. They are a good-for-you thing.



Next would be my perception of 'pancake'. I know these are an accompaniment to a meal, but my idea of a pancake is about the size of a saucer. So I settled on using a 1/4 cup measure, and it was perfect. The onion really added another layer of flavor, and I could see taking this recipe and adding some other things. The good news is, that it tastes just great the way it is. Loved the crispy outside and tender inside. I make corn fritters, and this base will be my go-to recipe for any fritter or veggie pancake I make from now on. It is just that good. We had a dollop of sour cream on them, and enjoyed them with green beans, ham and corn, and a salad of cucumbers, red onion and little pickled beets. Next is having them at breakfast with scrambled eggs. I think these are going to be great when the holidays arrive and the kids come home for a visit. Easy and good. Can't ask more than that from a potato pancake.


Thank you, Mrs. Sundberg. :-)







No comments: