Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fruit Dip



Well! A lot has happened. We were off to Ohio, back to my hometown, for the gathering of our things that have been in storage for two and a half years. Not seeing the light of day is a long time for things that I felt were necessary when we packed them away. There were necessary things, just not as many as I thought.

Necessary things like my vintage button collection. Maybe 100 buttons, (update: a little over 300 buttons in that box...I had no idea I was such a button hoarder. But I make felted wool mittens from old sweaters, and I put vintage buttons on the cuffs, so they are a necessary indulgence) among them, about a dozen jet buttons, for which I have a hearty passion. Several pieces of art, my teddy bear made from the green corduroy shirt of my grandpa's, and fabric. Silks that I had plans for, but now I kind of forget what those plans were. It was like Christmas. Seeing them again has lit the fires for creative sewing, and for that, I'm excited.

The heat was oppressive, along with a huge thunderstorm on the second day. A steady, pelting rain that soaked us to the core. We must have lost 4-5 lbs. each sweating in the humidity. Five trips to Goodwill to donate the things we had outgrown. The college furniture of my older son, a toaster and lots of other kitchen things, and lots of clothing that still has some wear left.

It was a cleansing trip, soulful and a little bittersweet. I grew up in that town, and I miss the people with whom I spent time. We have remained close, but I miss being able to see them, sit down with them, and hug them. There was plenty of hugging going on in the short time we had to visit though. 

Mrs. Sundberg must have known that we were all hot and sweaty with our journey, because her recipe last week was for something cool, refreshing and delicious. Who doesn't like a fruit dip? Local fruit is so plentiful right now, and I even got 'buy one get one' strawberries. This dip is delicious with strawberries, apples or pears, but really even small berries could be topped with this dip in a bowl and eaten with a spoon. It's creamy, sweet and I like the bit of tang from the cream cheese. I used my electric mixer, and the fluff walked up the stem of the beaters, but after the cream cheese was incorporated, it leveled out. It has been a long time since I have had marshmallow fluff. I used to have it in hot cocoa, and boy, did that bring back memories. And yes, I ate a BIG spoonful just for fun! 

Mrs. Sundberg suggested serving it with fruit, cut and carved. If I were going to carve any fruit, it would be in the shape of a spoon, to scoop up more of this satiny, delicious dip. 

Thank you, Mrs. Sundberg. :-)





No comments: